... rolling along Life Avenue

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Ramblings

• First day at work was fine. Actually, it was just an orientation for us, new employees. It was too early though. 6 am. And it was really hard for me to get up at around 4 because I wasn’t able to sleep until around past 12. Darned insomnia! And I barely arrived on time, because I didn’t know MRT starts operating by 5:30. So when the train arrived at the Ayala Station, it was almost 6.

Anyway, surprise, surprise! For the most part, our orientation was conducted by Jordan Cezar, but briefing about the payroll was to be done by someone else. I never expected to see a familiar face. I thought Ate April was strictly based in Ortigas.

We were done by 3 pm, and I went home directly because I was so sleepy by then.

• I just realized how rich the mythology of Central Panay is as I was browsing through sites about the Hiligaynon epic of Hinilawod. I wanted to search in the Ateneo library about it, only that I’m not a student anymore. I think I’d have to ask Joan one of these days to borrow some books for me. And if anyone would actually be so generous, since it’s my birthday next month anyway, I’d be very happy to receive Dr. J. Landa Jacobo’s book as a gift. Shameless! Haha! I suddenly just had the interest to learn more about the rich history and culture of Western Visayas.

• I just found out through MGB last night that Sakadas in Negros employs children as young as 6 years old. WHAT’S THE F IS WRONG WITH THE GOVERNMENT?! How can they be so blind about this? It’s bad enough, and illegal to say, that these kids are forced into labor, BUT P50 A WEEK?!! That’s what? P10 a day? How can these people live with that? That’s far from sufficient to afford a decent meal. Damn you heartless, conscience-less, rich land-owners! How can you take advantage of these people’s desperation? You should at least pay them decent wages!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)